Happiness is a warm gun

Strange what people have as a ringtone on their phones. I was in a cafe yesterday and the tone was a man screaming -- not comically, but in abject horror. Quite funny I suppose but weird too.

Otherwise working on my Meteor poem on the train and in fragments. Sometimes the better something is the closer it edges to becoming absurd and pretentious. It is teetering on the ledge.

Widespread touchiness going on today in the agency. Some days get like that and it is infectious, even the normally placid Gnome being uncharacteristically tetchy (not with me though).

I had a swim, which helps me feel good, and I was fine until a client presentation at the end of the day. The female client interrupted the short presentation twice to take calls, and she was then was texting under her desk. Her rudeness put me off my stroke, a rare event... So ended up tetching it with the best of them.

Her side-kick Florence was there too. She is someone with whom I am quite friendly, and last time we met, we were both engaged. She sat there glowing with cheeriness, with her rings glittering on her hand - and a weasel voice inside me felt shortchanged.

Happened to be chatting with Mike O, a veteran of many conflicts. As we did there was some news footage of British soldiers fighting in Iraq. To my surprise Mike said he'd give anything to be there. He said the best smell in the world was that of a recently fired gun, the smell of hot oil makes you feel safe, he said, because it means your gun is working.

Comments

Kate said…
Working late last night, the music in our studio was interrupted with 2 minutes of a man screaming. Turns out it was someone's 'comedy' sound effects on the server. Took a while for the adrenaline to drain out of my system...