The Burning of the Clocks

The fog thing now getting beyond a joke. A thick soup of it today that starts just a bit inland from Brighton, and my flight just two days away. Will I escape?

Last day at work, mercifully. Worked quite hard in the morning and then straight home for a microsleep. I feel shattered.

Then off to the Burning of the Clocks with Anton. I absolutely loved this. We huddled in a few bars near the seafront and then went down to the beach, to see a procession of mad drummers and hundreds of lanterns some of them in amazing dragon, octopus and people shapes with clocks on them. It is the darkest day and this is a new Brighton pagan tradition. The clocks were ultimately burnt on a big pyre after a symbolic sun was set on fire against the backdrop of the dark winter sea. Really excellent. And there were thousands there, and a great atmosphere too. The event was rounded off by some truly spectacular fireworks.

Loved the symbolism of it too. The year turning and a burning symbol of the things in life I would like to see gone.
Then back up to Anton's house via a brace of pubs to eat curry with Anna, before I lurched home. Skype then with Toby and my new friend the lovely Sarah in Florida. Below the pyre just before it went up. And a clump of lantern clocks.

Comments

Kate said…
Have a great trip and a very merry Christmas, Pete. I'm yet to get into the spirit (it being 4pm on Friday, and me still working, and having been too busy for lunch, let alone the easy afternoon in pub I was planning). Bah and humbug indeed. See you in the New Year xxx