Goaded by squirrels

The trusty 7:47 train cancelled this morning, so I ended up standing up in a crowded train most of the way to London. However I was in fairly good spirits. Decided I needed to see Pan's Labyrinth after listening to an enthusiastic podcast about it by Mark Kermode. Better in its own fantasy way, apparently, than a Citizen Kane.

Strode cheerfully through the graveyard past the hospital as usual. Wasn't even raining. The tough squirrels there don't even bother to get out of your way as you walk through. They just look at you beadily and chatter what are you? Nuts? under their ratty little breaths. I think it is appalling when even the squirrels want to have a go.

Perhaps goaded by grey squirrels, I found myself roaring at some unfortunates at work: don't keep telling me what you can't do... just bring me the solution! Like some ghastly office stereotype. God I need a change. Or a holiday. Or a life. But I had been badly provoked.

Insisted on going for a swim at lunchtime, and my equanimity was restored. I had to fish my trunks dubiously from a basket, as I'd left them dripping in the changing room yesterday.

The afternoon was much better, and me and the Gnome twitched less. Asked him if he'd heard of the famous Welsh detective: Sherlock Gnomes. I then worked late on a variety of slightly irritating tasks, then had a cheeky bottle of beer in the bar after work with my boss. Snoozed on the train, which I suppose is better than playing Zuma on my mobile phone like a cretin, and returned home to some cold pie.

Forgot to say that the big and clever idea about work strategy I had went down well. Got a small verbal pat on the head yesterday from the Powers That Be. So that was worth it then.

Romy sent me Hitomi's photo today so that we can recognise each other in Tokyo airport. I told her I would be conspicuous as the larger gentleman kissing the ground in relief.

I must say that her comment on yesterday's post was a bit tormenting...

Comments