Had an introductory session from a likeable hypnotist and NLP practitioner called Michael. I want to lose some of my extensive collection of phobias. The most pressing being the so called "white coat syndrome". I always get very anxious before my blood pressure is taken, so my readings are always high and it becomes a vicious circle. The hypnotist said he would have a go at fixing this in the few minutes that remained. First he asked me to imagine how I felt when the quack brandishes the blood pressure kit, and dwell in that anxiety. Then he swung his arm back and forth clicking his fingers and I had to follow this movement with my eyes but without moving my head.

Then got me to focus at a point in the air above his head. And imagine the feeling, it was instantly sunnier and more friendly, he was talking to reinforce the message. I felt fully conscious at the time although was aware that I had begun to breathe in a deeper and more relaxed way.

Afterwards he asked me to imagine the same scenario and asked if I felt anxious about it now. I was unable to recall any feeling of anxiety. Since then I have not been able to think of having my blood pressure taken without smiling and imagining cheerful quacks! The proof will be the next time I have it taken of course, but I'm optimistic that it will work. Quite amazing. I have a whole smorgasbord of phobias and neuroses this guy can sort out for me. Flying is definitely next on my list.

Felt a bit tired today due to a poor night's sleep. Was up early for a blood test, however, and later took a walk by the sea. A bit cloudier and blustery this morning as I had a coffee on the pier. This is a routine I could really grow to love, sat there drinking coffee on the vulgar drafty pier looking at Poetry London magazine and trying to work out which if any of my poems they might go for. They have published me a few years ago. Generally speaking I found the poetry well crafted but more cerebral and less emotional than I remember it.

Home and hacking viciously at poems. Spoke to Mum who was keen to find out about the hypnotist, then ate a mackerel and settled down to watch more Frazier DVDs. Tobs sent me this picture of the stained glass he and Romy had made for their front door in Toronto. Very nice.

Comments