And the heat goes on
A sweltering night, and only fitful sleep. An Enzo day, and his cold is much better. Lorraine off early and returned with the baby boy, and we spent much of the day indoors avoiding the peak of this incredible heatwave, 38.1C at Kew today. This is the fifth heatwave of the summer. It's beginning to remind me of Chad. A little cooler in Seaford but extremely uncomfortable, and barely any wind. Clothes are bone dry when we hang them outside in no time. Mum is managing as well as can be expected. But it is all getting too much for everyone.
The heat also caused buckling on the train lines near Lewes. In the afternoon I heard the sirens of emergency vehicles and it seemed like a big shout. Turns out the Victoria to Eastbourne train had derailed and two people were seriously injured. Luckily the train was approaching Lewes so was moving fairly slowly. A bit sobering as this is the train from Lewes I catch to see Mum in London.
When not playing with Enzo I was frenziedly writing the new pamphlet. It is frankly unbelievable how quickly this is falling together. I have 22 poems that are all in the same camp, and seem to work really well together.
Meanwhile Enzo is standing, almost unaided, for minutes at a time. Also crawling with determined speed. I was looking after him for a bit, and he made straight for the foot of the stairs, and made valiant attempts to climb them too. Managing one step up without difficulty. He's still holding his little arms up to me to pick him up and so on, which is extremely sweet. It's clear he understand a good deal of what we are saying too. Turns out watching a baby develop is really quite fascinating and exciting.
Lorraine dropped me off at the gym en route to dropping Enzo at Squirrel's End. Forgot my phone so had to 'rawdog' without podcasts or entertainment. The same man was there on the lats machine, squatting like a toad at the ear of Eve. But after my cross training half hour, it was free. Walked home past the almost dry Blatchington Pond. It must be heartbreaking for Guy who has put in so much work looking after it. I would have taken a horrified photo, but for my lack of phone. Lorraine who had been at Kate's house this evening with her book buddies, said that the large carp that had been in it were rescued.
I enjoyed an idle evening. I called Mum briefly, before cooking some spaghetti and a sauce. I could find nothing on TV so spent a couple of hours listening to music instead. Much better.
Below, the derailment outside Lewes. Terrifying. Thank God nobody died.

Comments