Fortified

Up early this Monday morning, and working on What's Inside, my latest horror short story. In the afternoon Lorraine and I drove off to Newhaven Fort. It is closed to the public, being besieged by builders, but weirdly there is a picture framing business inside it that stubbornly remains open. We had to be walked through the site by a pleasant Polish builder, who told us they were, among other stuff, repointing all the brickwork in the fort. His building site English amused me. Let me move this fucking stuff out the way, he said politely clearing our path. 

He pointed us to framer behind an unmarked door, where he had his studio. We took some pieces to be framed by him, he came recommended. We strolled for little bit around the castle grounds which leads to a costal path I might take one day.

Then I spent the rest of the afternoon in my study moving books around, and chatting with Lorraine who was finishing a lined bag with embroidery on it which looked very smart. She is really branching out now that she's stopped working. Also she is continuing to play piano. Recent tunes include the James Bond theme.

We watched the old movie All Of Me with Steve Martin and Lily Tomlin, which was great fun. Outside this evening for superstitious reasons, looking for the new moon. Too early and too cloudy. But I enjoyed the colours in the sky across the road.


Comments