A win

Last day before the plumbers arrive. Email working today, as I will need to be on hand for workmen for the next few days, a long walk this morning. Then lots of tiny tasks such as proofing my poem War diary in 1/72 scale, replied to my accountants, chase an unpaid invoice and other tiny tasks.

A longish call with Janet, understandably feeling sad after her sister's death. I arranged to go around to see her next week.

Finished The Anatomy Lesson, and begrudgingly admire it. Next up  from Roth is Portnoy's Complaint, but only after I finish several other books.

I consulted the I Ching this afternoon, which I have not done for some time. It gave me the most positive reading I have ever had from it over several decades. Irrational thought it is, I felt quite boosted by it. Just because something is irrational, doesn't mean it is meaningless.

Football this evening, England taking on Colombia, and amazingly enough beating them in the penalty shoot out. It was a deserved victory especially as the Colombians were, as I ah-hem believe the term to be, dirty bastards. England overcame their past, by not losing the plot after an injury time equaliser, very much against the run of play, forced extra time and then penalties. Old England would have lost this game. New shiny England, piloted by Gareth Southgate, who seems to have a good brain, and talked about how they had owned the process of the penalty shoot out, and reframing England as a team who does not have to play their own history of failure, that they have to make their own history.  Southgate for PM I say.

To bed, happily enough, after hearing on the otherwise v quiet street, a quick outburst of Football's Coming Home by some small and intoxicated choir.

Below, the sun-yellowed grass of Preston Park.


Comments