Golem

Up early and to tell the plumbers we don't want plastic. The stuff should be here on Monday, and the installation can resume, I hope, now into its third week. As yesterday, trying to work with little avail, while waiting for plumbers to get back to me and so on. A nice chat with Sonia, and I went for a walk for an hour and three quarters, and felt a good deal better for that. Listening to The Painted Veil  by W. Somerset Maugham. For some reason I have never read Maugham before. Orwell admired him, and I can see why. There is a coldness and clarity about his writing. Nice to be out and about, but still very hot. Thunder here and there in Southern England, not not a spot of rain here. It is now clearly a drought.

Meanwhile Trump is in England. Felt bad I did not go to the protests in London, in some ways. But keyboard warrior that I am I put something on facebook and twitter. The ignorant narcissistic Trump was a disgrace, contradicting himself, in his usual modus operandi, saying hugely damaging things, on record, and then retracting it as fake news. The man cannot stop lying. Led by Trump, the US is currently more of a threat to Europe than Russia, and is acting like the UK's worst enemy. The UK, broken by Brexit, and desperate to be tossed a carrot in the shape of US trade deals, is at its weakest in my lifetime, all of self inflicted wounds, is now in full appeasement mode. It sickens me to see this loathsome idiot getting the full works, Queen and all, and May holding his tiny groper's hand, 'a handmaiden'. Neville Chamberlain had nothing on this shower.

Lorraine home from work, sans computer, and saying she was not doing work this weekend. We popped to the pub, for a pint while waiting for a curry, then simply unwound at home, watching a enjoyable film called The Limehouse Golem. According to something I just read on Wikipedia, one Golem, an ghastly anthropomorphic thing made out of inanimate matter, had the word emet (אמת, 'truth' in Hebrew) written on its head. Someone needs to set a Golem on Trump.


Comments