A full day

A blissful morning, without labouring or drilling etc. overhead. Got to grips with some good work, and feel at the end of the week, that I have evolved a progress plan, have identified several weaknesses in what I've been doing, and know what my next steps are. I feel as if I have turned a corner somehow.

Because not having to be at the house, I set off for a walk. But I got no further than about three yards, when I started to chat to Clem, and soon found myself up on the roof looking at tiles, and firewalls, and discussing what to do about the fact that the cheeky bastard who had fixed our TV a couple of years ago, had done so by simply legging across the roofs and sticking it onto Clem's chimney. Also looked at lead flashing etc which has split on our roof and may cause damp in our bedroom. Seems I am destined for domestic doings. Clem however, is expert in all these kind of things, which is good.

After this done, I resumed my walk, and walked for a couple of hours or more, in the wilting heat, listening to Down and out in Paris and London by George Orwell. Made it home, and after showering and doing a bit more writing.

By cab to St Luke's church, where Glen and Joseph Spooner were playing a concert, some of it of the composer Barry Mills' work. Barry was there giving a short introduction to his work. Adam Bushell was also there.  But seeing Glen and Eleni was great, they seem glowing with happiness together which is great to see. I was pleased to be able to see them, because L and I hadn't been able to go to their wedding.

The concert was excellent, a lovely programme and Glen played excellently, and Jonathan played cello beautifully too. Particularly keen to hear the Barry Mills pieces, Mountain Light (homage to Webern) The Winding River Roe, The Flight of Time, and Love's Song, The Wondrous Night, which were interspersed with pieces by Webern, Vaughan Williams, Colin Matthews, Samuel Barber, and Schubert which had influenced him.

Met Lorraine outside the venue, as she had not been able to get away from school having too much to do to attend.  We crossed the road into the Islingword pub. Nice to have good drink there. Had a chat with Barry and we said that we should meet up.  Then there was a scrap between two lads, as usual I found myself pulling one of them off the other. This chap expressed his displeasure by throwing two glasses which crashed into the optics behind the bar, before leaving. The police came afterwards. All a bit lively. And Glen told Eleni that this was proper English culture.

Despite this, a really cheery evening. L and I then going home by taxi. I have downloaded this app which means you can order a Brighton taxi without having to speak to anyone, which I like. Lorraine and I home to beans on toast.

Below Clem on the roof, an afternoon stroll over the sunbaked land, and Glen and Joseph Spooner.







Comments