A glimpse of light

A rather blissful Friday, with a couple of smidges of agency work to be done -- and postponed some other stuff till monday so I could do some urgent stuff to get A Glass of Nothing rolling. Had an exceptionally productive few hours sat in Starbucks. I just wanted to escape the house and it worked a treat. I find the anonymity of Starbucks strangely helps. All the not being able to work on in meant that once I did that a huge amount of it seemed to slot into place right away. Suddenly I saw how I could underpin the three sections of the play with an overarching dark theme and got writing. I have had the set up for a long time, but I can only compare it to being some kind of detective. You keep looking at the opening scene hard enough, and the clues begin to reveal themselves. Wonderful to be writing freely again at something that cheers the soul. A glimpse of light.

Home and once Lorraine returned from a hard day at work we jumped on a bus and biffed into Trafalgar Street. Had a Diavola Pizza in an Italianate restaurant, and then Lorraine and I went to the Prince Albert too see a gig upstairs in its little gig room. Not just any gig, but one with John playing drums in. First band were full of good musicians with a lovely brass section. Sort of a modern English take on Reggae, and likeable enough. The three piece John is playing with, called Body Talk, played next. I wasn't really surprised to learn that he is a really good drummer. Lovely loose-wristed technique, and lots of variation in his playing and a general air of effortlessness. It made me feel very happy that he was so good.  And he was so much himself while drumming.

Lorraine, Beth and I with Lene who came to the gig too, all pushed off for a quickie in the Batty afterwards. It was so busy we sat in the back garden at first. A mild night in February, and so no problem. I like Lene, who I don't know too well, but who is an old friend of Beth's and former partner of Ross, a likeable guy I used to go for pointless beers with, but haven't seen for a while.

Home and feeling cheery and as if I had let off steam.

Below a not very good iPhone shot of John at the drumstool as part of the Body Talk trio.

Comments