Kicking stones

Up with the lark this morning, and in a frenzy of completion. A long chat with Richard first thing, some amends from his end, and a fiddle with the map in the middle of the book. Then off to the gym again, and on return printed my poems and took myself to the magic cafe to interrogate them.

Lorraine and Rachel, with Sam, Beth and Mark arrived in the cafe before pushing off to the beach again, and I worked until I sent my poems off to Richard and Jane who have kindly offered to have a final sense check. Rather tired after my poetic labours. Watched a programme about Russian art, then took myself to the Batty for a cold beer and a read of my book on Presocratic Philosophy. Ended up being joined at half ten by Lorraine, Sam and Beth.

Sam on exhaustingly philosophical form, announcing he was a solipsist he advanced opinions on a wide range of matters. The sooner that boy goes to university to find people he can debate with the better. Despite an interest in philosophy, and having a degree in it, my days of debating are long gone. I distrust people with opinions. As Bishop Berkeley said, "All men have opinions, but few think." But my sympathies also lie with Dr Johnson, who in his refutation of Bishop Berkeley's subjective idealism, or immaterialism (i.e. that everything was a figment of the imagination of Bishop Berkeley, who -- confusingly -- was in turn a figment in the mind of God) was to powerfully stomp a nearby stone and bark, "I refute it thus!"

Below Dr Johnson. This is the face to wear when interrogating a text I think.

Comments