Back to school

Up and off to Stanford school this morning. Slightly apprehensive, but once I started to talking to Mark Rodericks beforehand, I felt instantly relaxed. Mark is plainly an outstanding teacher, and he introduced me to the year, putting the whole thing in context. The session lasted an hour in the school gym, and the 90 ten year old kids were excellently behaved. Very much winging it, not knowing what to say particularly, but I outlined life as a writer, and then told them how I got the idea for the story and so on.

Some interesting questions from the children. And again, they particularly liked Mum's paintings, and seemed to enjoy the first chapter of the book when I read it to them. They all applauded at the end, and bemusingly, several of the children approached me with scraps of paper so I could autograph them. They persisted, even when I explained again I was not famous, so I gave in and did it. I really hadn't expected that.

Home and it was only 12ish, so I went to the gym and had a sweaty work out. The afternoon not so good. I had some French work to do, and this proved extremely hard to concentrate on, and I didn't finish it till this evening. Received the quote from the Brighton printers, which I have forwarded to Richard.

In the evening, watched Cloverfield, a stylishly hand-held, but horror-free horror movie, and did the various things I need to do before going back up to the smoke tomorrow.

Comments