Dolphin derby

The summer arrived with a blaze. In the late afternoon met Lorraine and Beth by the seaside, and spotted my first burnt noses of the summer. The beach smelling seasonally of suncream and fried fish. Lorraine's old pal Rachel and her husband Andrew and their two girls were in town. Wandered about on the pier, which was fairly busy, and the visitors went on some of the rides, and we all played the dolphin derby game, which I have walked past 100 times, and never played. Dismayingly, my dolphin (no.10 "Tuna Fish" powered mysteriously by balls you roll into holes) came in third last so I didn't get to win a fluffy fish. Then into Gars Chinese restaurant for some grub.

I really liked Rachel, who used to teach Beth and Sam. In her gap year after school, she went to live with missionaries in India for four months, dispensing health advice and showing people how to safely deliver babies (and I have no idea how this worked) using a shoebox and stockings.

Otherwise I slid into the gym, and had a day finalising the book, Betsy emailed the cover and the spine and Richard and I are well pleased with the result. We now within touching distance of finally finishing. There is, of course, something slightly terrifying about this. Richard's poems are fantastic, and I am so close to my own I have no idea of their value. Still, both of us tweak on, with A Guernsey Double heading for what we hope is the winning post.

Have been booked for a few days up in London with Keith from next Tuesday working on a pitch for HIV treatment, which is nicely timed, as it allows me the screech-inducing ordeal of going into a new school to discuss Skelton Yawngrave on Monday afternoon.

Comments