A Guernsey Double arrives, and a day of children

A spot of French work, before walking in the hot sun to Stanford School, arriving just after nine. Feedback day, and the year five children had read the first seven chapters of Skelton Yawngrave in the Second Kind of Darkness. I spent three sessions in three classrooms talking to the children about it. When I arrived at the school (to kids saying there's Peter Kenny and telling me they liked the book) I felt an overwhelming desire to puke, as I have a minor stomach bug. Pictured myself spraying the children Exorcist-style, which was not helpful.

Interesting how the different classes had different ideas about the story, and the children themselves were delightful, and very well behaved. In a nutshell they liked it, but thought the opening could be speeded up a bit. They seem hooked now on the story. Lots of full and frank feedback, and book reports, and a tape of conversations to take home with me. All went without a hitch and was fantastically useful. I can't wait now to re-address Skelton Yawngrave in the light of 90 comments from the target audience. A few more autographs as I left, and some applause. I think children at this age are top.

Two spells in the staffroom. Some really pleasant people, despite the Neofascist signs about putting your cups in the dishwasher, and flushing the staffroom toilet. Left school at 1.00pm, promising to return. Home and after finishing my French work went off to the printer.

At the printers--thank God--there were a 100 copies of A Guernsey Double. The bulk having been shipped successfully to Richard in Guernsey. The book looks pretty good, and I still haven't got my head around it. I expect it will all seem more real at the book launch. Took a taxi home, and I will admit to some stroking of the book, and sliding it among my alphabetised poetry collection under K, and mentioning it on facebook.

Then off to babysit my Godbairns while Anton and Anna went to school to discuss Oskar's reception class next term. Hard to believe the little lad will be starting school in a few months. Sat in a pile with the kids and we read Lady and the Tramp, and Mr Happy, a Mr Man book. They are adorable.

Home to do a little more work, and then Lorraine came by and we had a cold beer in the Batty. I blame these hot days. Lengthy discussion about my big and cleverness. Home, and feeling nauseous again. Lorraine returned home, and I went to bed fairly early.

Comments