Mind maps and a mouse Chernobyl

Downloaded an abridged version of The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying and listened to it on the train. John Cleese reading it, as well as Sogyal Rinpoche the author, and others. I noticed John Cleese at the three day retreat I attended with Sophie, which was led by Sogyal Rinpoche himself. Listening to it is surprisingly cheering, and like a burst of sanity as you scrabble ratlike from the train platforms at Victoria down into the tunnels of the tube.

Arriving at London I picked up a free Metro which had a false front and back page covered in stories about Watchmen. The movie is out shortly in the UK. I read the graphic novel last year while I was in Greece, and found Alan Moore's story intriguing. The advertising for the movie covering the Metro (usually only worth reading for the excellent translated Norwegian cartoon strip Nemi ) was very well done though, and true to the style of the original graphic novel. Interestingly Moore's name was not to be seen as he has asked it to be removed. Not a good sign as he did the same with the disappointing V for Vendetta, which was also based on one of his excellent stories.

Maybe it was a sunny Friday morning, but I had a bit of a spring in my step today walking to work. Even though I have been working hard this week I actually feel better than I have done for months. My prostatitis has cleared up, and even better I no longer have to eat antibiotics every day for months. Also a heavy cold is on its way out, and I have a break to look forward to.

The day went interestingly. A few days ago I attended a meeting where I did a quick mind map on a whiteboard, and sorted things into four columns. Mystifyingly, for a couple of the suits, this was a bit of a windtunnel moment. Hair streaming behind them, they professed to be impressed with this mind map and the four pieces of paper blu-tacked to the wall. People began to have opinions about it, and not all of them favourable. I had a tiresome discussion for almost an hour today explaining why I did this mind map, as it did not fit into the way things are normally done despite the fact that its contents were of interest. It is hard to be a peacock among penguins. Fortunately Betsy is a peacock too, so all is well.

Had a cheerful late lunch with Betsy, Anna and Keith in the OSP. Late afternoon was enlivened by someone using the toaster in the office kitchen. After a short burst of excitable screeching, a smell that caught the back of the throat made itself known: a toasted mouse Chernobyl. Urgh. The poor thing had crawled into the toaster. I don't know if it was burnt alive or was dead already. I hope the latter.

Home and the noble traditions of Friday night. Home. Pat Calliope's head, rumple ears etc. Tidy up detritus from busy week. Wash self, wait for Lorraine, kiss Lorraine, rumple ears etc. speed down to the Cricketers download the week and drink a brace of beers. Then on to our curry restaurant where we were shown to our table with poppadoms and beer already there. Splendid.

Thank God for Friday.

Comments