Blindsided by The Hi-Sides.

A chilled day. Cat perfecting a new waking technique, which is simply to lean heavily on your head rather than stand on it. First day for ages in which I had not had to work, apart from preparing a couple of invoices, which is simply cheery. Had a bit of hangover this morning. I am a terribly lightweight drinker these days.

Off this evening with Anton and Lorraine to see The Hi-Sides at The Hope. This is the band formed by Rick and Jon who I met a few years ago through Anton, plus a bassist called Pete. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but they were hugely enjoyable and seemed to mean business. Lots of good songs written by Rick, and the on-stage chemistry between them was great. Jon thundering away at the drums radiating sheer pleasure. They were at the foot of the bill because they have only just started but well worth checking out. See the The Hi-Sides myspace site. I find it really inspiring when people I know get up and turn it on. Brilliant stuff.

Other bands were on too. Brassneck, who Lorraine said reminded her of The Beautiful South with a violin, also well worth seeing. These followed by a band called Gentleman Starkey who I didn't see enough of to form an opinion, although the singer's voice rather good and I enjoyed their general air of aloofness. Although probably not in a way they would have liked.

We met Sally and Jon there too, who I'd known from my IBM days. They were on a weekend away from the kids. Sally and Lorraine chatting their heads close together in the noise, like they were in some kind of dimples competition. After a while we cleared off to The Eddy which was utterly thronging much to our suprise. A splendid night out.

Comments