Black gloom in a scorcher

Very hot in blighty today, apparently a record temperature for July at Heathrow of 36.7C. Working in my office and sitting in the shade in the garden from time to time. Lorraine off to work, and Beth and Laura, who had a sleepover, sensibly off to the seaside. In contrast to the beautiful weather, I spent the day in a deepening gloom, feeling fed up at the futility of all my efforts in every direction. Although I am writing what I think of as one of my better poems at the moment, I learned of a failure in another competition which didn't help. I need a rethink.

Thank goodness for Lorraine, for after I talked to her I felt much better, and did  a spot of hobbly but therapeutic gardening before we ate salady things outside with a happy Beth who'd caught the sun, planning our wee garden party on Saturday.


Comments