Departure

Last day in Guernsey... For a month only thank God. After a leisurely breakfast, and a thorough read of the Guardian, Lorraine and I went on a walk from Moulin Huet to Jerbourg. Today hotter than ever, and the cliff path utterly beautiful. The tide was out a long way, and the gleaming sands and turquoise water looked fantastic. By the time we reached Jerbourg we were sunburned and thirsty, so we sensibly repaired to the Auberge. It is a wonderful restaurant and we looked out at the hazy sea and Herm dreaming across the water as we sipped a pair of cold Carlsbergs. Had some lovely food, topped off by Banoffee Pie Mess, whose ingredients were fresh bananas, crushed meringue, Guernsey cream, butterscotch sauce, toasted almonds and pecans with digestive biscuit ice cream. And by God it was yummy. I don't bother too much with puddings, but this was fantastic.

Then a wending walk back to the hotel to pick up our cases. Lurked in the hotel bar, where I thanked Andrew the owner again for buying some Guernsey Doubles, which are now in the display cases in the hotel. A small, but very satisfying, thing. Managed to get to the airport without braining myself, and the flight home was lovely with no thoughts of death plunges.

Pat and Maureen at my house when we arrived with glowing faces. House much tidier than when I left it, and my airing cupboard wonderfully organised. Calliope giving me the cold shoulder. Lorraine left with her folks, and I pottered about ineffectually before bed, feeling far more relaxed than I had been when I left here a few days ago.

Below views from the walk to Jerbourg, a glimpse at our view in the Auberge, and A Guernsey Double on display in the hotel.









Comments

Guernsey Girl said…
Now I'm really glad I'm going back to Guernsey in a few weeks' time - I'll head straight for the Auberge and taste some banoffee mess - after I've admired the books in the cabinet, of course!!
Peter Kenny said…
You won't be disappointed... Roll on May!