Unsung

Lorraine rehearsing all afternoon and performing all night. I was left to my own devices, which were mainly about going to the gym, a spot of shopping, and a good deal of loafing.

I also bought Skullduggery Pleasant, the star of a series of acclaimed books in which the hero is a skeleton detective. I first became aware of this character after finishing the first complete draft of Skelton Yawngrave. I've dipped into Skullduggery Pleasant before, but I want to make absolutely sure that my character Skelton is nothing like this one. Felt sick when I was buying it.

Roasted a chicken this evening, and invited Beth over to help me eat it. Then off for two Cornish Knockers, a rather nice beer, in the Great Eastern before going to see Lorraine's performance. It has been fun hanging out with Beth over the last couple of days, and I told her so.

Unsung, by the Hullaballo Quire, was at the Salis Benny Theatre, full with about 200. Met Dawn and Jan there, bumped into Lorraine's pal Lorraine and Tariq from the Marlborough. Further evidence of having reached a tipping point, and almost always encountering people I know in Brighton.

Really ambitious programme from Hullaballo, with music and readings themed around the idea of heroes. Some good moments, with one or two bits seeming under-rehearsed. Lorraine's reading right at the start of the show, and later in the second half. She looks focused and rather sexy when she sings. Kirsty, the choir leader energetic as usual. Betty and I next to Dawn and Jan in the audience and filmed it using my new camera. However it ran out just a few minutes before the end of the concert. Empowering programme, however, and overall it was uplifting and inspiring.

Lorraine in some need of a throat soothing beer afterwards so we sloped off with Beth to the Basketmakers just before last orders.

Below Lorraine reading, and the choir as a whole.


Comments