A box of delights

Once Lorraine had returned from the hairdresser with new hairs, and I had done some scraps of work, we had a cup of miso soup to allay heavy colds before plunging into the shopping melee of Brighton. A cold not unpleasantly wraps you up in a kind of cotton wool and we floated about town's heaving masses adriotly dodging a pelt of seagull guano and the persistence of sales folk. Managed to identify a Lorraine present which is a relief.

Lorraine out tonight to see Handel's Messiah. And I delighted in a quiet evening on the gold sofa with Calliope snoozing a few inches away, while reading A Box of Delights by John Masefield in between snuffling and hacking. This is my favourite Christmas book of all - as it is very mysterious and you can sense Masefield loving the freedom of writing for children. Later Lorraine just called to say she had been congratulated by Dawn on her ability to sneeze quietly during the concert. Having typed these meagre thoughts I shall drift downstairs to sneak a thimble's worth of sloe gin and snaffle a mince pie before bedtime.

Thinking of my family holidaying in Costa Rica. I wonder what Christmas is like there?

Comments