Snow

Snow had worked its silent ministry overnight, and was over six inches thick. Lorraine returned home and I chatted to my neighbour Alex, happily trapped at home by the closure of train routes. Gatwick airport has been for the last couple of days. The Downs, which separate Brighton from the rest of the country have protected us from the worst of the weather, with people snowed into their homes just a few miles inland.

Calliope pussyfooting around in the snow as I chatted to Alex, but mostly she is reluctant to venture into the cold. Bored, she is constantly treading on my keyboard, or trying to stand on desk with her front paws on my shoulder or leaping from the windowsill onto my back and biting me in unprovoked ways, howling disconsolately when I ignore her and generally making work an uphill struggle. I am compelled to regularly take her downstairs and play football with an artificial mouse to expend some of her energy.

Otherwise a disorganised morning's work and then, feeling antsy, set about a two hour bout of housework followed by the baking of a large pie.

Resumed work only to hear a good deal of pounding on my front door, which on opening revealed Klaudia and Oskar, who zoomed in straight for the pirate box, unburdening themselves of handfuls of snow on the floor. Once outside again my Godbairns and I threw quantities of snow at each other while I chatted to Anna and Anton. They were off for a family meal to celebrate Anna's birthday (along with Reuben and the French bloke today too). Grown ups go out to party tomorrow.

Trekked off to Lorraine's house this evening, which she had catnipped with a home made curry. The streets thick with treacherous ice and I sensibly took a walking pole with me. Mark and Betty full of all-purpose singing and cavorting. We all settled down to watch a movie starring Jim Carey and Ewan McGregor called I love you Philip Morris. Normally Carey does my bean in (a technical critical phrase) but I rather liked him in this gay romance.

Below the scene on opening my door this morning.


Comments