Lucky stars

Off to the gym for the first time in ages. Significantly more full of energy, and my lurgy seems to have abated. Spent 40 mins gingerly bobbing up and down on the Hulk legs machine and treadmill. Did some incredibly light weights to break myself back into it gently. It is slightly embarrassing doing this when people are literally lifting up to ten times more weight than you.

Otherwise the day spent putting more Skelton manuscripts in more envelopes. It all certainly looks good now, and decorated with the images my mum did for me. Far happier with my covering letter and synopsis now. And the snubnose version of the story gets straight into the action too, and the Skelly response card looks great. I am convinced that it is a good pitch. Although doubtless I will keep tinkering with it. The horses have been led to the water, but will they drink? Reading on a some writer's forum a story about a boss getting multiple responses to a job advert. The boss then chucked half of them away, saying 'I want the successful candidate to have tons of luck'. I have been within touching distance of real writerly success before, notably with Fabers when I was 29, but that vital luck bit has gone AWOL. The only thing you can do is keep trying, and hope that one day before you die, your lucky stars align.

Slightly stir crazy this evening and went out for a walk in the cold town dressed for Christmas, and then had a solitary pint in The Batty talking to Lorraine on my phone. I was also eating twiglets as a break from various species of bubble and squeak I've been eating in the aftermath of Sunday's feast. However while supping and chatting, I did again think how lucky my life is at the moment. Sometimes your luck is right there under your nose and you can't see it.

Comments