Beefy

Had Anton and Anna and my God bairns over for lunch today. Weirdly, I'd never roast a joint of beef before. It was fairly simple, and very moist and tasty although it wasn't red in the middle like some prefer.

Lorraine was sous-chef and did most of it while I faffed about cleaning the house and so on. She made a marvellous gravy too. We made a cornucopia of vegetables, including my trademark chestnut mushrooms cooked with sage and bacon, and carrots cooked in orange juice, Lorraine made red cabbage with dried fruit, and there were roast potatoes, parsnips, turnips, and garlic, plus Brussels sprouts, asparagus. Then cheeses, followed by an M&S strawberry tart which we all had with vanilla ice cream drizzled with the neighbour-made Maple syrup Joan gave me when we were last in Deviation Road.

Far too much food, obviously, and all four adults groaning afterwards as the Kids watched a show called Horrid Henry on TV. I loved seeing Klaudia and Oskar as usual, and got them to help me feed the fish. They both wanted to sit next to me at the table, which was heart warming, and they seem to have lots to say to me.

A quiet evening spent indoors with Lorraine, contentedly full and happy to watch Match of the Day. Chelsea slipped up this weekend by drawing, but then Manchester United lost so all well. Also watched a dumb but funny movie called Mars Attacks.

Comments

Kate said…
Sorry I couldn't make lunch, sounds like it was tasty and fun (apart from the mushroom incident, obv). So can we actually meet up before Crimbob then? My nose is firmly attached to the copy grindstone for the next couple of days but beyond that would be lovely. An thirsting for a pint and a chat.