Crib notes

Off today to deepest Kent to visit Lorraine's folks Pat and Maureen in my capacity as fish consultant. After a nice cup of tea we went off to the local garden centre and fish emporium where I selected various plants and rock and bits of wood. Back home to set it up, and to be rewarded with roast beef, and roast potatoes cooked in goosefat.

I like Maureen and Pat. After the aquarium business, they taught me how to play cribbage. Lorraine and her parents were able to add the scoring permutations in a flash, which made me feel slightly retarded. But I like playing cards, and crib seems a good game.

I have spent countless hours hunched over hands like feet playing Euchre with my grandparents in Guernsey. My grandfather Dave, who Lorraine's dad reminds me of, was rather a good player, and played in a local Euchre league. After playing a hand badly, my Grandmother was frequently warned by Dave that if she'd done that down the club, she'd have left like a cullender. This was an oblique reference to being shot many times. Dave liked to make the Guernsey Euchre league sound like Chicago in the 1930s. Pat also showed me various running medals, including a first prize in a relay for a run in Guernsey in 1951. He was a keen runner and coach of local talent for years.

Home listening to the Tru Thoughts label anthology in Lorraine's car. A cold night, speeding home to Brighton listening to funky tunes under bright stars.

Comments