Mum's birthday

A good sleep in Edgware, only interrupted by the thundering of cats and a nocturnal hiss outside my door.

In the morning Wynford called around to give Mum a birthday present from Glen, Mum's next door neighbour, who died a couple of days ago. He obviously very shaken up by the death of his mother, but he has a strong faith in God which was obviously a comfort to him.

Up early and had a leisurely breakfast with Mum and Mase, then having a turkey lunch. Mum made me listen to the surprisingly good Nigel Kennedy Quartet. I also watched the swoopy bat-based punching epic Batman Begins with Mase. Surprisingly good.

Home late in the afternoon. Rather tiresome journey. Even trying to have an honest wee in the Brighton train proved impossible. Waiting patiently and with increasing urgency outside the only working toilet, an mad old bat begged me to let her go first. Reluctantly, and with little grace, I agreed. However these negotiations were redundant. The man inside simply refused to come out for the remainder of the journey, despite the aforementioned bat repeatedly banging on the door. Eventually I gave up and returned to my seat. This combined with absorbing the bile of The Hell of it All, by Charlie Brooker put me in rather a misanthropic mood. It is a really funny book, but slopping with cartoonish self-loathing.

Gratefully home to another rejection, but this time there was a crumb of comfort. Apparently my writing is fresh and funny, although still not for their list. At least on this occasion I had the sense of a sentient being having scanned my submission. Spoke to Bob and Lorraine. Later watched a moderately good BBC version of The Turning of the Screw, which gave me one or two enjoyable shudders.

Comments