Fairytale of Brighton

Cold pressing against my study window, and I found myself wearing a scarf indoors as I worked on a project for my lovely French client Jeanne. Always a pleasure to be thinking about France, and wielding aigu and grave accents with abandon. I wish I could speak French beyond a risible level. Maybe I should go to classes in the new year.

Otherwise went up to see Beth and Mark in their college show singing Fairytale of New York, and take part in a narrated piece about a singing donkey by John Rutter, called Brother Heinrich's Christmas. I can't say I was particularly looking forward to it, but actually I really enjoyed myself. There were lots of instrumental pieces played, Jazz, Pop and Classical. Some of the students at BHASVIC are extremely competent instrumentalists, and clearly have been well taught. Something cheering about seeing the young uns so encouraged to use their talents.

After dropping Beth and Mark and two of their pals off in town, Lorriane and I repaired to The Batty (The Battle of Traflagar) for a quietly enjoyable pint. I had a pint of bitter called Red Nose, which on the pump had a Santa with a little flashing red light on his nose. Lorraine was talking about the nature of community, and how you define it, and the ways a school can be a community. I think wanting to belong really helps. For example people in Brighton by and large are proud to live here, and love its arty ways. It's a club people want to join. These days I feel I belong here more than anywere else except Guernsey. And that's rather a nice thought.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good idea about the French lessons