A small escape

Up early to write some advertising copy for the region of Alsace. I make it sound top, must go there one day. Then back to skeletons before going off to the gym. I have been working 14 hour days the last two days, so I needed an escape from my desk.

Help was at hand. Lorraine and I went down to the seafront to score our The Great Escape wristbands, which you wear for three days, and they give you entrance to dozens of venues in town. Tonight we went to a club called Digital where we met a cheery Sam. Had a couple of cans of Red Stripe beer, feeling rather rock and rollish, especially when we bumped into Rick and Pete from the Hi-Sides who'd come to see Evan Dando. Enjoyed hanging with popstar mates (and got a small insight into First Matie's early years). Not talked to Pete before, a likeable guy from near Boston.

Lorraine meanwhile in her element. She likes nothing more than going to gigs.

As for the bands - This Tawdry Affair were unsigned and had an interesting guitarist, otherwise bass and drums were barely on nodding terms. Their worst tune by a country mile was announced as their single in waiting should somebody want to sign them. Oh dear. I found Emmy the Great to be shambolic and annoying, but she had her fans. Topping the bill was Evan Dando of the Lemonheads. Clearly much loved, and his songs were strong and he seems a natural storyteller - one of which Rick sang word for word in my hearhole (totally in tune to his credit). An enjoyable set.

Home and good to sit down after standing for three and a half hours. Ready to do it all again tomorrow.

Below the splendid Evan Dando.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like Evan Dando a lot. Great songwriter.
Kate said…
Ha! Copying! I KNEW it! x