A personal landmark

Barely got two or three hours sleep due to excruciating back, however spent the night working out my presentation to Guernsey Arts. Walked back from Lorraine's house in the lovely sunshine and--curious this--did a killer day's work, finishing the third draft of Skelton Yawngrave.

This draft involved some significant rewriting, and now stands at 81,701 words, heftier than I planned. Several things to hoover up in draft four, which may trim it a wee bit. But in a couple of weeks it will be ready to show people, and I am immensely proud of what I have achieved - and also quite nervous. As I typed the last few words it made me wonder again where all these characters, plotlines and words have come from. They seem to have been given me fully formed, and my only job was to get it all down without messing it up. Most odd. And I already know what is going to happen in the sequel.

Sensing it was a big moment for me, Calliope sat on my desk for much of the day looking at me like Eddie the dog in Frasier.

As a footnote to the day, did some Alsace advert copy too.

Lorraine came by this evening, having spent the day with her folks in Kent, and we went to the Batty for a drink and then had some fish and chips. She bears up very well, having me blare on at her about Skelton Yawngrave for over a year, which must be quite tiresome to constantly hear about a story you've not read. And for that, I apologise too for readers of this blog.

Below Eddie and Calliope separated at birth. (Kinda.)



Comments