Disco Jesus

Up early and a day's work on Skelton Yawngrave. Made some good progress, but felt tired and worn thin by the middle of the afternoon. By five I had retreated to reading and enjoying my Bill Bruford autobiography again.

Diane called, and she will be coming down to stay soon.

In the evening met Lorraine, and we saw Beth and Mark in an interesting play called Interview by Jean-Claude Van Itallie, which they were doing as part of their drama exam. It was an excellent play, with Theatre of the Absurd elements in it, which took me back to reading Martin Esslin and studying Waiting for Godot at about the same age as Beth and Mark.

A good performance by the students, and good physical acting conveying a crowded tube train by crushing together and so on. Beth the best I have seen her, putting genuine emotional oomph into her part. Mark convincing as ever, with one brief tableaux having him as a disco dancing Jesus, which I wasn't expecting. Mark's folks where there too, and chatted to them briefly.

There was another play on before the one Beth and Mark were in about breast cancer, which while a perfectly good subject the dialogue was stilted, and the characters telling you what they were doing rather than showing it. Felt sorry for these kids trying to breath some life into some DOA lines.

I then walked home with ideas of doing more writing, instead I read my excellent but slightly depressing Bill Bruford autobiography till 11:30 with Calliope sitting under my chin.

Comments

a said…
No open houses yet? Don't miis 'em...
http://www.aoh.org.uk/artists-open-houses/trails/venues-for-trail?trail_code=05FA09&submit=GO

Regards.......
Peter Kenny said…
A, you're right. The open houses are a must!