Friday fun

At last a decent and uniterrupted day of work on Skeleton Yawngrave. After a week or so I had finally got to the end of sorting out a horribly thorny chapter (chapter thirteen, funnily enough, which is called unlucky for some).

Listening to Sol Stein Stein on Writing on my iPod. Interesting, no nonsense advice from a very famous US editor. Good to hear his advice and many examples on good openings of novels. As I remembered it, the opening to Skelton Yawngrave seems to meets his criteria, but I will have to check again though.

Up to London this evening for Barry's retirement drink. He was an ex-colleague who'd worked in my old agency. For me the evening was a who's who of past agency colleagues, many of whom it was excellent to see. First Matie and Matty were there, Marcella, Imogen, Fraser and Jez and his wife Anna, Yuk and Diane - who got married six weeks ago - Bob Nash, Maria, Mick Egg, Pete Blake, Theo Pike, Robbie and Bee to name but a few. There was also a fabulous tribute film put together by Nick Couldry for Barry, who was his long term writer to his art director.

A couple of friends had run into problems with jobs at the moment, and I came away thinking that life for me is pretty good, and that I have been lucky. Good gossip to catch up on, and beer to be drunk.

I left at around 10:00 and luckily the evening was held in a room in a pub called The Cardinal, close to Victoria, so I was home fairly promptly. Lorraine had let herself in and was on the sofa with Calliope on my return armed with a pizza.

Comments