Short fuse

Another day in my old agency - speeding about working on scraps of urgent stuff, with two art directors I'd never been partnered with before: Bee and Lana. Feeling slightly out of control with lots to do. Lots of stress about the place - but I managed to maintain a reasonably good equilibrium. Train draggy and late getting home.

Home to rejections for my pamphlet project: one company has restricted its list to books of quotations, and the other already has a publication lined up specifically for Valentine's day. Good to get fast feedback though, and can send them off again as soon as I get a minute.

The evening, however, much better. I met up with new literary pal Alison and went to a short story event in the Komedia appropriately called (considering the day I'd had) Short Fuse. Six stories, and all but one read by the writer. A high standard and a wide variety of material. Enjoying the unusual ideas that popped up, such as reading Homer to your cat. And a brilliant bit of writing about a teenager's sexual encounter with an older man that managed to be transcendentally wonderful. A really good night out. I will try to get on there at some point.

Afterwards went for a beer and a coffee with Alison, and had a wide ranging chats about writers and books, and life in general. A fascinating person. I told her how much I was enjoying reading her book. She told me that she'd done quite a bit of research for it - on attending physics courses and also visiting hospitals with people being treated for sleep disorders.

Home and since I'd not eaten I was sudden gripped by a despicable urge for a late night pizza before I shot off to bed.

Comments