Tea with a smile

Friday took a lot of time coming, and was very welcome when it did. Finished the Bartimaeus Trilogy on the train without further endangering myself.

Bought a cup of tea as I often do from the man who pushes the buffet trolley on the train, I think his name is Howard. He is a shining example of life being what you make it. He is generally cheerful and usually has a fragment of gentle of banter with people he is serving. Today I asked him for a nice cup of tea, and he said they were all nice from his trolley, and then he tried and failed, as he always does, to upsell me to some sort of croissant to go with it. It's something and nothing. But he passes through the train, bringing a smile to dozens of people during the day - I don't suppose he gets paid much for his job, but I think he is spiritually well in credit.

Raining heavily at lunchtime in Glamoursmith, hurried off to buy a small and slimline salmon and cucumber sandwich, manifesting iron will by avoiding the various temptations of doughnuts, biscuits and Friday afternoon Mars bars, which were scattered about the agency. I was invited around to Lorraine's house for supper. My early years as an astrological sage tell me that if a Taurean offers to cook for you, it makes sense to simply accept. She made a mouthwatering chicken curry, and I undid my good work by having second helpings.

After work, I left to go to the Lyric Theatre, where I met a new business contact that Mase put me in touch with, for chats over sparkling mineral water. Sparkling mineral water is the drink of choice I find for business meetings these days. It says sinuously businesslike. It says sparkle. It says clarity. Charming French woman, with some good ideas. She told me however that one of her friends had just started a business importing snails eggs, a bit like caviar apparently. Hmm.

Got a nice note from Andrew Comben, saying he'd seen the interview I'd done of him and was pleased with it, which was nice of him. I've not seen it yet.

Comments