An interlude in Shoreham

Lorraine came by this morning and drove us off to Shoreham, which is just a bit further west along the coast, the other side of Hove. This is where her new school is, and she wanted to walk around the area to get a feel for it. Actually some really nice bits there, and close to the Adur river.

It occurred to me that being a deputy head teacher is an important job. It was interesting to look at the little school, and walk about the nearby streets and think how much the job is rooted in a community, and a real place, and making a real difference to the lives of children and their parents. It struck me just how physical and practical this is - and far more meaningful than working as a copywriter.

Had a large brunch at a cafe called Teddies. There were two teddies on the street outside the cafe and inside there were several dotted about. A very friendly place. From there to a farmer's market, where I bought a large leek and some Sussex butter.

In the afternoon I read a book about Kafka, easier to read about Kafka than read him. Years ago I have tried to read the Trial, and the Castle but they make me feel so anxious and frustrated that I could not carry on reading them.

Below two glimpses at the Adur on a bright January morning.


Comments