Travelled into work from Edgware. Mason up early making coffee and toast for me, which was very nice. Despite this, quite Mondayish by the time I arrived at Hammersmith, but was cheered by a lovely message from MJ at work.

Had to get hacking fairly swiftly, but made time to send that nice Weezer a birthday e-card. Otherwise little happened today other than doing bits of work. Went out for a chilly half-an-hour stroll by the river, calling MJ as I turned back towards the office.

The French bloke sent me this today: “This is a strange poem. I was doing some research and was reminded of a rare event called a "stone baby". It happens when the foetus (usually at a late stage) dies. In rare cases, instead of expelling it, the body converts it to calcium carbonate - in effect limestone. It is almost unknown today in the western world, in fact there are only three hundred reports ever, anywhere. Interesting that this lady chose to use a poem to resolve the loss. I don't know if it is good poetry, but the way she illustrates the way ferocious, maternal, protective instinct took over 30 years too late really moved me.” You can find the Stone Baby poem by Sheila Hamilton here.

Very cold again tonight and my house took ages to heat up after standing cold all weekend. Feeling a bit miserable about missing MJ this evening but was delighted to have yet another contact from my past… Tim Julian who was at Warwick with me, and I’ve not seen for 23 years sent me an email having been in touch with Andy. Excellent!

Comments