Listened to my brainwashing tape on the train this morning, which I'd not done for a while. Makes me feel very positive.

Must be in some kind of strange cycle, with contact from university friends and so on lately, and a thirst for reading philosophy again. It was The Continental Philosophy Reader this morning.

Found myself reading excerpts from Heidegger's Being and Time. Heidegger has always fascinated me, but makes my head want to explode. It is far easier to read books about Heidegger than read Heidegger himself. But reading it slowly again this morning and again on the way home I found it a mite easier going than I remembered. Being and Time asks an incredibly simple question in a very complicated way: what is the meaning of being. In the introduction he says... "Every inquiry is a kind of seeking... Inquiry, as a kind of seeking, must be guided beforehand by what is sought. So the meaning of Being must already be available to us in some way." He is saying that to be able to ask a question you must already have some idea of the answer, and that we all have "a vague, average understanding of Being"(a phrase that made me think of Rilke's angels for some reason). His project is to make that understanding sharper.

Bumped into Reuben as I stepped from the train, and a quick chat walking through the station. So nice to encounter a friendly face in the multitudes. Told him again how much I like his bag of helicopters site.

Quiet day at work. Phoned MJ, emailed Katie, and Tim Julian. Went for a walk in the sun with the FB this lunchtime and ended up for a short while in the Dove where I had a glass of wine and watched him fork into sausage and mash as we sat near the fire. Max has a lively night last night of what appeared to be contractions but no actual birth yet. She was scrubbing the floors today apparently and told the FB that she was possessed.

Cleverly slunk off for a swim in the middle of the afternoon, and then back to the office for a meeting till six. Home and chatting again to my beloved MJ before what will hopefully be an early night.

Comments