Hurrah. Made it to America. THE most unspeakable flight. Hours of lurching turbulence. Fortunately the pilot said it may be bumpy before we took off so I took my emergency valium -- sadly this had worn off by the time things had got really bad five hours later. The landing too was horrid. Normally I don't mind landings but the lower we got the more the horizon slid up and down and the plane rocked from side to side. The massive air pocket we hit about thirty seconds before landing where the plane dropped like a stone did nobody any good. A wave of hysterical laughter once we had slammed and then lurched horribly on the runway.

Disembarking, and one of the first things that always hits me about America is its distinctive smell. It's hard to describe; it's sugary and with a hit of cinnamon.

Journey to Kings Park Long Island fairly easy. Travelling around these parts seeming quite familiar these days. Asked directions of a bizarre barking bullfrog-looking woman in the information booth at Jamaica station and soon found myself in the arms of my beloved Mary Jane with the wind whipping her hair about, and all the evils of the journey faded.

Lovely afternoon and evening. Anne, MJ's sister in law is pregnant and so we went flower shopping. MJ naturally had to have flowers too. Was very pleased that Jack and Kate patently happy to see me. Had cleverly armed myself with a bag of toys for them and little Matthew and Genny which didn't hurt.

Had a nice meal with Anne and MJ with wine. Then playing with the kids for a bit, and being slobbered on by the two dogs before I had to crash. Am staying up in Mike and Anne's top floor apartment. Kings Park is very quiet at night, and I drifted off to sleep happily listening to the wind and rain in the trees.

Comments

Kate said…
Hey PK, glad you made it there in one piece. Flight sounds horrid. Give the lovely MJ a big hug from me please.
Anonymous said…
Sad to say I think the sugary, cinnamon smell comes from the unhealthy, fatty food products that pass as "pastries" here in North America and are mass produced in shopping malls and airports. Lovely contributor to the obesity crisis.