Not long home after visiting the Summer Art Fair in Chelsea with Mum and Mase. I found the show itself rather disappointing. Loads of accomplished work but I kept wandering about thinking so what? Made me think of Weezer. Her work has such an original use of colour and unusual subject matter that it would have had some genuine standout here.

However as we walked in we bumped into an old family friend Mark Lewis, who I'd not seen for years. Had a quick drink with him to catch up. He is now working as a principal lecturer in goldsmithing and jewellery, and is approaching his 50th birthday. When he was at the bar Mum reminiscing about pulling him out of her hedge.

And then wandered about the show for an hour and a half. Mason happily engaged in cornering people who were displaying the art. Mum and I drifting about looking for inspiration and finding little.

Then we went to some cheap and cheerful restaurant called the Chelsea Kitchen for some late bites before I left them at Sloane Square and set off for Brighton again.

Was emailed today by Tim Gallagher's brother, who had read my appreciation of Tim and from that had learned that he was dead. Emailed him right back but the address he sent the email from no longer works. Feel bad about this.

Have almost finished Persuasion now, having picked it up again. In the final analysis I like it a lot less than Pride and Prejudice. Despite it being less mannered somehow I found I cared less about the protagonists.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Pete,

Sorry you liked Persuasion less than P&P. I've always felt a greater affinity to Anne Elliot but I think most people prefer the more lively Elizabeth. Anne Elliot always seemed more real to me but I'm not sure why. Maybe because she's older. Maybe I like the fact that she gets what she wants after having internalized her disappointments for so many years. Who knows? (and who cares!)

I've just a finished reading a really good book called Spell of Winter by Helen Dunmore - a writer I've never heard of before. I really enjoyed it - very good evocation of place and the seasons.

Hope all is well.

Romy