Starting a survey of scariness

Friday, then and maintaining positivity. Up early, did some writing. Sent email off to my French agency pals, about my availability, and sent some more poems out for the Guernsey Literary Competition.

A pleasant afternoon, and I went to the Jubilee Library and rejoined it, coming away with a horror book by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I went across the road to the Starbucks and sat there for much of the afternoon, continuing my survey of the horror genre, reading The Chalk Man, by C.J. Tudor another horror novel that has sold very well. I almost finished it. A mixed bag, tightly plotted and full of lot twists. On the other hand the language was a bit cliched, and I found the characters were unconvincing. But, while never actually horrified, I certainly found it an enjoyable page turner -- and it was her first published novel so really well done. I will read the Lindqvist next. I have been looking at lists of the greatest horror novels, and Let the right one in, which I have just borrowed from the library seems to score very highly.

Lorraine and I sauntered around to Red Chillies, when she got home, ordered a cheeky takeaway, and popped across the road for a pint in the Park View. This was actually the first beer I have had this year, and I had another bottle when I got home. We watched a movie adaptation of Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte, which was fun. Lovely to be with Lorraine on a Friday night. Counting my blessings at the moment.

Comments