A collapsing giant

Spent the morning refining my mind maps, designed to give me an overview of what I need to sort out. I also spent some time poring over the writers and artists yearbook for children, going through publisher by publisher. The vast majority of publishers won't take unsolicited manuscripts, which is why having an agent, a hunt I have already embarked on, is the way to go.

Spoke to Mum who was worried about Mason. He seems to have had a bad reaction to a new prescription, and was quite unwell and out of it yesterday and only a little improved today.

I went for a long walk and ended up in the park, and selected a bench looking at the wildflowers planted in the park for a bit of a meditation, as my head was full of monkey mind chatter about peanuts etc. I sat down, composed myself and it immediately began raining. I noticed another man meditating on a bench near me, but he was made of sterner stuff continuing in the rain with a peaceful look on his face.

I went into the café, and drank a cup of tea and suddenly many things felt lots better, proving what a panacea a cup of tea can be. Walked about the park afterwards and found that the larger of the Preston Twins, and the largest English Elm left in Europe collapsed on 18th August and according to the notice suffered catastrophic structural damage. Most of the tree has broken off but they are looking at ways of preserving what's left. Preston Park is the home of the National Elm Collection, the trees in Brighton mysteriously having mysteriously escaped the ravages of Dutch Elm Disease. Apparently there are over 17,000 elms in Brighton and Hove, but I passed one today which is infected.

Messages with Toby briefly, who was back to school today. I'm just very lucky to be able to get my head sorted and have time to think.

Below a few Preston Park snaps: the collapsed Preston Twin elm; in the walled garden, the wildflower field, with the derelict block behind it which will be pulled down soon. I like the trees growing on top of it, and some cheerful black-eyed susans.








Comments