A bit of Klingon trouble

By the end of the day I ended up despising everything I'd ever written, which happens once in a while. It can be useful to look at your work in a cold and sneering way but it is rarely comforting. The trouble is writing is not a choice, it is a condition.

Meanwhile, in the world of successful writers... I am still laughing at a quote by Steven King, that 'J.K.Rowling never met an adjective she didn't love'. I also finished Joseph Anton, listening to it on my iPod as I did laundry and other things. Salman Rushdie's account of his under the fatwa, I found over-long, indulgent and boring in parts, but it was also completely fascinating in others, and something I will remember reading for a long time. I suspect Rushdie is a likeable one to one, but seems to have a knack of rubbing people up the wrong way.

Spoke to Mum, who had to go to hospital for an appointment, but she had packed a bag just in case. Luckily she was immediately returned to the wild.

Very pleased to see Lorraine at the end of the day, she had got through her day unscathed. I cooked and we simply escaped into the TV, as befits the rapidly darkening evenings. And very enjoyable it was too. A documentary about Philip Larkin's oddly revealing photographs and snatches of his poems, a documentary about tornadoes, which I love, and then we watched two episodes of the new Star Trek Discovery. The script was a bit clunky, but still it was nice to escape into a bit of Klingon trouble. These Klingons have been redesigned to look a bit orcish, and they are behaving badly.

Below some Klingons.


Comments