A papal audience

Up early and another early start, sending off some more poems, and generally being industrious.

I bused into town to have a really enjoyable afternoon with Catherine Pope, a papal audience in the Bath Arms where we had a couple of beers and plates of lunchtime fish and chips. The world was put to rights and the woes and triumphs of writers and publishers discussed. As well as being a sagacious and clever person Catherine makes me laugh a good deal. We were discussing my new found love of gardening, at which she was shuddering and said that Tanya was a big gardener too. Catherine said she looked in a front garden and saw something that genuinely interested her, as she had never seen a plant with perforations like that, and snapped a photo of it on her phone to show Tanya till she realised it was a crumpet.

Really good to see Catherine because she has such clarity that after discussing my various projects with her I came away with a clear sense of priorities, as well as a copy of Harriet by Elizabeth Jenkins, the republication of which features an afterword by Catherine.

Took the bus home and when Lorraine had got home we sauntered on foot down to the Shahi where Betty was waiting for us and we strapped on an the nosebag and had a laugh - heard about Dr Raman, apparently well settled in the midlands, from Sabir. Good to see Lorraine relaxing after a tough week. Sauntered back again, however the hill home was a hill too far for my pesky thigh, and I had to ice it when I got home.

Comments