Graduands to Graduates

Sam and Beth both graduating today. We were up in Leeds to be with Sam as everyone, including Beth thought this was fairer, as Beth's performances have been well supported by family over the last few years - and the noble pursuit of philosophy is not usually a spectator sport.

Lorraine and up and breakfasting this morning in the hotel. Then a short zoom about Leeds because, inexplicably, I decided I needed a white shirt and a tie for Sam’s graduation. A sweltering day, and Lorraine raging at her hair as she was trying to straighten it. However we caught a taxi to the university, where we met a suave looking Sam and Jade, and Gary and Sophie – Sam’s dad and his fiancée. We wandered into a tent and all had a couple of glasses of fizz before shuffling into a large hall in the University where all the philosophy and related subjects graduands metamorphosed into cloaked and flapping graduates. I found myself clapping everyone with gusto, and trying not to think about Harry Potter. Sweltering heat in the great hall. Sam strode about in his finery looking very suave and I found myself easily able to imagine Sam striding through knots of awestruck undergraduates in future.

Then out to for a complimentary Pimms reception, where there was a certain amount of standing about during which I spoke to a couple of Sam's lecturers, including Robbie, who was at college with Matty boy and John who was the prof there. This done we all melted away for the afternoon, Lorraine and I had an unashamed snooze back at the hotel before regrouping with Gary and Sophie at Sam and Jade's flat, and then we all headed off to a local pub called the Arcadia, where I took my life in my own hands and enjoyed a pint of beer, feeling rather in need of one, before heading to a local Italian restaurant for a tasty celebratory meal.

After a pleasant evening, we caught a taxi back with Gary and Sophie, before Lorraine and I repaired to our room after a long day. 
Below Sam looking every inch the Academic outside the The Great Hall at Leeds, meanwhile at Wembley Stadium Betty was graduating too; then one with me, and Lorraine looking very proud, another with Sam and Jade, and finally Lorraine, Sam, Gary and Jade.


 




Comments