A Return to Sarnia

Another recovery day, I am - touch wood - inching back towards health and every day without a flare up is good. Small amounts of work done but little physical or mental energy.

Consequently little to report other than receiving the score for A Return to Sarnia by Chiara Beebe, a very accomplished 22 year old born in Guernsey. She has used my poem A Return for what looks to be, with my rudimentary score reading skills, a rather beautiful piece that also quotes the song Sarnia Cherie. The song is going to be performed in the Guernsey Sinfonietta's Terra Nova concert of modern and new music on, I think, August 6th. This of course made me feel quite cheery - with the prospect of whipping over to Guernsey to see it, thrown in for good measure. It will be good to meet Chiara too, who seems very switched on and sorted and, all being well, to see the bronzed and Italianate Flemings.

Finished The sense of an ending by Julian Barnes. I found it very enjoyable, despite its contrivances creaking from time to time.

A lovely call from First Matie who had been on Jury Service, in a case involving scuffling coach drivers. Now she is focusing on her move up North to Matt Pollard's childhood stomping ground of Hull, somewhere in the North.

I cooked tonight, after Lorraine and I both went to Sainsburys to buy food and particularly cherries, which are my friends. Wasted the evening watching the Holland and Argentina football mach, which was as dull as last night's game had been extraordinary. Lorraine snoozing soundly during the 'action'.

Comments