Freewheeling

Worked till 1:30 and then sent off my completed books to the accountant. This caused me to caper about the house with a song on my lips. Then I started to tidy the house, which was beginning to attract concerned social workers. Also had gossips with Richard and Jenny in Guernsey.

Having selected the FW-190 I wasted the remainder of the afternoon in the skies over occupied Europe and shooting allied warplanes down on my Combat Flight Simulator 3 game. This enabled by the joystick Lorraine had bought me for my birthday. Later when Anton came around he had a go on it too. It was touching to witness a craze kindling in his eyes. He gave me some birthday presents and cards, I love seeing Klaudia's writing.

We sloped off to have a couple of drinks while Anton talked excitedly about Combat Flight Simulator. The first pub we went to was staging a beer festival, which meant there were half a dozen middle aged blokes lurching about in it swigging beer from kegs, one of them knocking over three or four glasses as we entered. Sat down and drank a little beer and felt a great wave of nausea come over me. Perhaps it was the featured beer. Luckily this slowly abated in the next half an hour and didn't ruin the evening.

We ended up in the Eddy as usual. Anton, however, had work to go to tomorrow. So I finished my beer slowly chatting to the barman who I had first met during a pub punch up. He is massively into skateboarding, and owns a skateboard outlet. Sadly he told me that these days kids skateboard just for fun, and with no knowledge of its culture and history like his generation of skateboarders. He told me about the tensions between skateboarders and rollerbladers, and the annoyance of children on scooters. Skateboarding techniques have evolved so that stunts his generation thought impossible are now routinely done by children. A classic fings ain't what they used to be conversation... But with skateboards. I love Brighton.

Comments