Brownie points

Finished the flatpack construction today. Actually rather satisfying to see a kitchen island standing complete on its wheeled feet, and knowing you have had a hand in it. The Croatian gentlemen took 1-2 hours to assemble it in the instruction leaflet, it took Lorraine and I over four hours, and this without any significant mistakes.

Caught up on the abominably-watchable X-Factor, then back to my place to work on the final two questions in Lorraine's scary form. It is now almost complete thanks be to God. The form from hell taught me about what Lorraine does every day as an educational adviser, and the activities she describes add enormous value to how the educational resources of the county are deployed. All of this work of course under the shadow of the Government cuts.

I earned about 900 brownie points this weekend from Lorraine, but at the end I had a persistent twitch in my left eye. Also in between trying to break into doors, assembling flatpacks, questions on education and beers with popstars, have been having several ah-ha! moments. One of these happened in the gents in the Basketmakers when I suddenly saw music slotted into an area of philosophy that has interested me for years. A long time since something like that has happened.

Also, and this partly a consequence of writing a book about my childhood, I suddenly see my childhood differently. It is difficult to explain, but it is as if some kind of a bolt has shifted in a locked room.

Spent the evening gnawing on a chicken. With my recession head on, whole chickens are a great bargain. They make several meals and lately I have been improving the stock I make afterwards by collecting the run off in the roasting tin and putting it in the fridge. I then remove the fat and use the dark jelly below to enrich the stock. It's the first step to becoming a fatter, but less mockney, Jamie Oliver.

Comments