Breakfast and the box

Anna, Anton and the bairns called around this morning, the children racing to my skull and crossbones pirate box of sweeties as usual. This makes me think of Gwen my Grandmother, whose house was full of secret compartments and hideyholes from which treats would be drawn from time to time. Many of these treats hidden treats made their way into the house having accidentally fallen into my Grandfather's pockets when he worked in a warehouse, so was a good reason not to flaunt them.

All off to breakfast in a new restaurant in Church Street. A certain art deco elegance, but the service was snailish. Nice to chat to Anna and Anton, and see my Godchildren. Anton delighted with his new role at work. The only thorn in his side is the difficult target his part of the business has to reach. Ironically this was a target he set last year while in a previous role. Anna, however feeling a little frustrated by a lack of time to push on with her projects. Oskar in his first term at school is only doing half days, but this will change in January. While at the restaurant he locked himself in a toilet cubical but this didn't turn into a drama thankfully. Klaudia doing word puzzles and very keen on reading. Anton said she read an entire book to him the other day.

Then we all walked to the sparsely stocked city library where I borrowed a book about corpses called Stiff. While there, however, Lorraine played chess with Klaudia who is rather good apparently having learned on Anton and Anna's iPhones.

Another lazy afternoon. As it was raining steadily Lorraine and I watched endless junk TV: X-Factor and Come Dine With Me and read the paper. I still have no appetite for work, nor have I any get up and go. However part of my brain has been refining the new story I am working on, as new ideas keep popping into my head about them.

Lorraine apprehensive about next week when the future of her service (or what will remain of it after the government cuts) is to be announced. And Betty has agreed to look after Calliope when I am away, so all good.

Comments