The pig's last oink

A morning full of skeletons. A sluggish head today though, and I got quickly stuck. Popped out instead to get a haircut (and an interesting discussion about life as a barber and er, skeltons) and, after having a more profitable afternoon, decided to leave early for London where I was to meet the Dell Posse.

I arrived very early and enjoyed walking about and relishing London's bustle, having been cooped up bashing away on my keyboard.

Chinatown looked particularly nice, decorated for New Year. I lurked about taking photos for some time. Then I made my way to the Crown and Two Chairmen in Soho where I began to read a newish collection of poetry by Esther Morgan called The Silence Living in Houses while sipping a beer. She quotes Alice Monroe's short story The Office which I've not read: "So a house is not the same for a woman. She is not someone who walks into the house, to make use of it and will walk out again. She is the house; there is no separation possible."

Her choice of quote was particularly good I think, and her poems revolve around that idea, but introduce notions of haunting and ghosts. Will have to look at it a bit more.

Then some of the Dell Posse arrived at the pub: Phil (whose birthday it was) Ash, Arno. From there we had our traditional curry in the usual restaurant. I very much enjoyed the mix of agency gossip and catching up - there seems to be a lot happening. In the last year our curry club has seen a marriage (young James darkhorsing it) an engagement (Phil and Ash) another engagement (Marcella), a baby (Arno) not to mention all the birthdays and job moves. All in all a good antidote to the hermit tendency.

Home feeling very cheery and arriving at Brighton I bumped into a nice fellow writer Diane, who I met when I last did a day in the office at my old agency. Then home to boof down happily, grateful that I didn't have to go to London again tomorrow.

Below getting ready for New Year on the 7th. The new year is the year of the Rat, the Pig's last oink in a window.

Comments

livesbythewoods said…
Hi Peter. I tagged you, if you feel like doing it.
Peter Kenny said…
thanks Lucy... I did! P x