A beak where it wasn't wanted

Met Sophie, Andros, and the bairns early this afternoon to lurk on the pier. Following tradition, Andros off for coffee and the rest of us onto the pier for several rides. A cold day.

I went on the dodgems with Sophie and the kids. Sophie zooming around looking curiously traumatised by it. Christof and I went on my favourite Horror Hotel ghost ride, which was excellent, as they have made a few improvements. Enjoyed the cheesy horror tableaux that you trundle past, and was surprised by the bits of cloth that pleasingly trail over your face in the dark. Lorraine went on a ghastly whirling thing with Electra, and even managed to hold up her hands in the approved manner.

After a couple of hours of this sort of thing, and watching the kids on even worse rides, we made off. Far more horrifying than the ghost train was a feathered devotee of Hitchcock pacing along the roofing eyeing us, and just as I pointed out its comical behaviour to kids, we were suddenly surrounded by three or four gulls. I waved my arms about ineffectually, and one of the winged fiends had its beak in Electra's Singapore noodles before you could blink. When she dropped them and ran off to Sophie, her noodles were scarfed hungrily from the floor.

At what evolutionary point did seagulls start waking up in the morning and saying to themselves: you know what, I could fancy a Chinese?

We repaired to the Mock Turtle for tea, and then after a breather of a few hours all went out again in the evening, to the Pomegranate restaurant, where I'd been with Sophie a few weeks ago. Sophie likes it because it is eastern Mediterranean/middle eastern in its cuisine, and they play Greek music there, and generally fawn over her. Much banter with young Christof who has rather warmed to me over the years. I took along my rubber squid, and made it say "they say they serve squid but I'm still hungry," which made me laugh more than Christof. I can drop back into childishness faster than a seagull can snatch a noodle.

Comments