Being Peter Kenny: 7 great things about it

Was tagged by splendid fellow blogger Lucy WithaY who is sounding V positive these days. Her idea is to create a meme, and write 7 positive things about your life down. So here goes... Actually I could have done about twenty.

  • 1 family and friends - my family are also my friends, and many of my friends are like family. There are literally dozens of people I love. To disagree with Sartre, for me hell is not other people - hell is isolation.
  • 2 creativity - frankly my creativity makes me big and clever. When not working as a creative for a living (writing junk mail, radio and TV adverts, tee-shirts, posters, websites etc.) I have acted in theatres, in one obscure movie, performed and written poems, prose, plays, taken photos, drawn, painted, played guitar, and blogged. It enriches my life because it makes the world my source material, not something to drift through. Additionally it helps me appreciate other people's art and expression. When you have, for example, painted a bit - it is impossible not to be in awe of truly great art.
  • 3 spirituality - over the years I have become increasingly Buddhist in my leanings. Meditation is wonderful and I’d like to do more of it. And going to a Buddhist retreat for a few days was a bit of turning point. Buddhism is cool for many reasons. For a start, there are no fundamentalist Buddhists. Nobody is out to convert you. And they don't force you to suspend your disbelief and accept all kinds of garbled drivel as being the word of God. And on a personal level, it also helps me maintain my sanity as a creative person. I find ideas about not being attached to outcomes, or on focusing on the job at hand, to be extremely helpful.
  • 4 ladies - I am catnip to them.
  • 5 Brighton - is full of life and spirit, and more arty types than you can shake a stick at. I love living here, and it has the sea which is provides an instant perspective on life. I can get there inside 10 minutes. Not bad, eh?
  • 6 Guernsey - my spiritual home. When I go back to the island I am recharged mentally and spiritually. It is a place rich in memories, natural beauty and history and it never fails to inspire me.
  • 7 ending well - wherever possible I try to end things well - be they relationships, or jobs or just conversations. Any fool can start something, but ending it well takes art.

This was a nice exercise! If you are reading this, why not have a go?

Comments

livesbythewoods said…
Hurrah!

I love, love, love the idea of you being catnip for the ladeez.
Peter Kenny said…
It is deeply true too ;-)
Mecca Ibrahim said…
OK - if I'd have written this a month ago it would have been very different:

1. Friends - my friends rock. I love sharing in their successes, I feel sad when they're going through rough times. Sometimes I like hearing them just winge. I like that I have different friends for different things - which always makes parties I throw pretty strange as they're not always guaranteed to get on but when they do it rocks.

2. Inventiveness (you used to call it being tricky). It's come in handy over the years.

3. My career - it's had it's ups and downs but for the vast majority of the time it's been fab. Looking forward to moving onto something next week that has felt like the best career move I've made in years .

4. Knowing people much older than me. I love how people like Mase, your Mum & Janet & Ken can still make me laugh like a drain and can make me want to be like them when I retire.

5. Knowing people much younger than me. I get freaked out by how many bright, intelligent, creative and successful people I know who are 30 and under 30. But it freaks me out in a very positive way.

6. Being able to play with a dog. Marley rocks - I will miss him loads.

7. Kew - although it carried a lot of sad memories when we split. I'm so pleased to be living back here again. I had a beautiful morning in Kew Gardens last Sunday and read in Metro the following day that it was the hottest place in London.