Worked from home yesterday, and spent some time writing about heart attacks and strokes. If I were to chose any subject I'd least like to write about it would be those. However had an enjoyable day. Today I felt better disposed towards the world in general. In the morning on the London train I was scribbled these bullets in my moleskine:

  • Bob was saying the other night that he thought that most of his problems were not existential but spiritual. He has said this to me several times now.
  • Perhaps I should celebrate my obstacles.
  • Attaching yourself to your work is futile and potentially harmful. It is also crowds out the things that one would prefer to do.
  • My world has shrunk. This has been reflected in my blog and my lack of creativity.
  • My notebook has lain dormant.
  • Time to wake up.
  • Stop doing the same things.

After writing all this I felt a strong feeling of freedom. I had cut the bond between myself and my work and now I am free to move on. Also realised that reactions to all this stuff is entirely in my control. Also felt a massive urge to stop being so wrapped up in myself and my own reactions to things. No wonder I have nothing to say creatively. It's all "me me me".

"There's no commitment in this meal. Nothing died." Michel eating the remainders of other people's food including some vegetarian ravioli at Catherine's 40th birthday lunch.

Went out with Phil and Ash and others to celebrate Phil's birthday this evening. Ended up having a curry. Phil making everyone laugh with accurate impressions, and a story about his mother giving him a complex as a child about the filthiness of coins, handled by men who did not wash their hands.


Comments